View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 30, 2020, 2:56 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
It must be hard being a Conservative Libertarian during a pandemic. Dealing with it requires all the things that they abhor: common sense, science, cooperation, the greater good, collective action, selflessness, regard for others and government intervention.
Good job character assassinating and typecasting the libertarian minded in our society.

A lot of rural folk have libertarian bents. In general, a lot of rural types have abundant common sense, and do cooperate with one another (barn raising anyone?) They also believe in collective actions, but only so far as their particular community is concerned. They respect their neighbours and are frequently selfless, especially in terms of looking out for their neighbours, fundraising for churches and private charity for worthy causes.

As for their suspicion for science and government collectivism, that is a given. Their suspicion of science is generally rooted in low educational attainment, although most farmers these days have university degrees. I think they appreciate applied science as it pertains to their needs. Their disregard for government collectivism is rooted in their individualism, and their belief that they have a right in determining where their charitable efforts are directed to.

Now we all know "survivalists" who exist at the far fringe of the libertarian movement, but their existence should not tarnish libertarianism in general. There can be a virtue in self sufficiency and rugged individualism (in moderation).

One thing's for sure, when the apocalypse happens, it would be people like my late father-in-law who had his own mechanic shop in rural Antigonish County, and did a bit of subsistence farming on the side who would survive the longest. He had a few rifles and shotguns which would come in handy for deer hunting too. On the other hand, your latte slurping downtown Toronto metrosexual would be dead within 4 weeks of the apocalypse. And, since I am highly domesticated myself, I would also be dead shortly thereafter...........