View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 30, 2020, 2:09 AM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
I would say Akron is more like a Fort Worth to Cleveland’s Dallas, or a St. Paul to Cleveland’s Minneapolis.
i'd say the cleveland/akron relationship is a lot closer to dallas/forth worth than it is to minneapolis/st.paul.

more than any other large paired US cities, minneapolis/st. paul most fully embody the "twin city" dynamic. neither one is a ring or satellite city for the other. they function much more as equalish dual nodes of one single continuous city.

for starters, they directly abut each other, sharing a 6 mile long municipal border.

their populations are fairly close; minneapolis 429K vs. st. paul 308K.

they were both incorporated very close in time. minneapolis 1867 vs. st. paul 1854.

the two downtown are only 8.5 miles apart, connected by an intra-city light rail line, not commuter rail.

they split major league sports. MLB, NFL, & NBA are in minneapolis. NHL & MLS are in st. paul. (notice how all the major sports teams are named "minnesota", never one city over the other).

the main art museums and convention center are in minneapolis, the main science and history museums are in st. paul.

minneapolis has the univeristy of minnesoata, st. paul is minnesota's st. capital.

and on and on.

they really do function more like one single city with two major downtown nodes than any other large US city pair that i can think of.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Sep 30, 2020 at 2:21 AM.