View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 13, 2023, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
At this point it's safe to say that several miles of High St. from downtown north to OSU has become the preeminent urban street in Ohio. In the last five years it's really gotten big-time, and probably smokes any comparable corridor in any sunbelt city, except maybe Miami Beach.

But outside of this area, Columbus's legacy layout doesn't lend itself to density numbers that can compare to the nearby older/bigger cities.
I actually did weighted density for the blocks bounded by the Olentangy River, the Glen Echo Ravine, the CSX railroad, and I-670 i.e. roughly the near north High Street corridor. It's 4.6 square miles with a population of 70,772; a density of 15,377 and a population-weighted density of 55,423. It only continues to densify.

As far as the rest of the urban area, I think Columbus squeezes large apartment complexes in every nook and cranny. Yes, most of it is auto-centric, but somehow that hasn't affected the traffic yet as it's still nearly non-existent.

There are also many large, in tact neighborhoods of single family homes close to or in the core. German Village, Merion Village, Olde Towne East, Clintonville, and the urban suburbs of Bexley, Grandview Heights, and Upper Arlington. The bones for Linden, Southern Orhards, and Franklinton still exist for them to be among the aforementioned neighborhoods as well.

Columbus has a remarkable consistency across the entire urbanized area. So unless you've explored the entire 516 square miles it may be hard to believe it's the most dense of these cities.