View Single Post
Old Posted May 19, 2022, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngniems View Post
I really like the SEPTA plan for regional rail. I think I like the second the most but I am confused about the transfers. Can someone explain how that would work?
What option two is proposing is the following: certain corridors would be designated as being worthy of Metro frequencies. To use a single line as an example, let's say I live along the Paoli/Thorndale line. If I live in Narberth, I can now take trains every 15 minutes into Center City. However, if I live in Malvern, I have to take one train that runs every 60 minutes to Radnor (the point on the map they've marked as the end of Metro frequencies) and then transfer at Radnor to the next inbound train. Express trains would exist during peak that would be a one seat ride, but only during Rush Hour. That line is a perfect example because of Amtrak; how do you expect on-time performance will be considering that Amtrak runs along the line?
Compare that to Option 1, where all lines see 30 minute maximum headways at all times of the day. So now, if I live at Narberth I have to wait a little longer for a train (headways are already 30 min anyways off peak on the PAO), but someone in Malvern actually has to wait less. Expresses will also still exist during peak hours. And as SEPTA gets more funding, they can run more frequent trains and get those down.

The big reason I am opposed to those transfers is because historically, similar systems were used to kill off the West Chester and Fox Chase lines. You're pretty much guaranteeing that ridership will plummet.

Quote:
Also, this is all great but we still have many regional rail lines running every 2 hours on the weekends. At this point I would be happy to return to pre pandemic frequencies. What is taking SEPTA so long to return to at least hourly regional rail service on weekends and late night trains?
Manpower. We literally do not have people to drive the trains.