View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 3, 2023, 4:55 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by LineDrive View Post
And we all know the boondoggle the ESFV line is. I’m almost in denial. I keep expecting a last minute change. This thing should be at a MINIMUM grade separated. Stations should be spaced out as opposed to one each block almost. It really should be part of the Sepulveda project but we know that won’t happen. AT least it should be built with the idea of connecting it to the Orange line (after LRT conversion)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromSD View Post
And the East San Fernando Valley line is an even bigger miss. All that money for what is essentially a 6-mile long streetcar. I guess MTA is billing it as a local-only line since it isn't directly connected to any other light rail line. Even if the Orange Line is converted to light rail one day, though, you would still need to transfer twice to reach DTLA. And the ESFV line won't be any faster than a bus with closely-spaced stations and the need to stop for lights at all the east-west SFV boulevards. If you aren't going to do grade separation, bus rapid transit makes more sense for Van Nuys Blvd. This light rail line really doesn't provide any added speed and convenience for the massively higher cost.

Is the idea that it's the East San Fernando Valley's turn to get rail transit so we will give them this? What about the other parts of the county that have been left out of the rail network so far? How about the Gateway Cities southeast of DTLA? That area is densely populated, low income, transit dependent and part of the LA core. Serving that area should take priority over a Van Nuys Blvd. street car.
Is the ESFV projected to have high ridership? If so, then it may be worthwhile. However, when I look at a map of the Metro system, there's a few gaps that jump out to me that I wonder should take higher priority. And that's a lack of a north-south line in west and central LA. We've got a lot of east-west going on with the E Line to Santa Monica, and the D Line with the Purple Extension to Westwood/VA Hospital.

To me, the most obvious next steps that should receive the bulk of the resources and funding would be 1) Sepulveda Transit Corridor from Van Nuys to LAX and 2) K Line Northern Extension from Expo/Crenshaw to Hollywood/Highland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromSD View Post
I still don't understand how a station to connect the K line to the Airport people mover needs to cost almost a billion dollars. How could they possibly spend so much money on a station that's not even underground?
Agreed about the LAX/Metro Transit Center station. Quite shocking considering the original estimate was $500 million. The only reason I can think of as to how a single, at-grade station can cost nearly a billion is that they're trying to make it look really nice with high quality materials. Maybe if they were future proofing the station for a future Sepulveda Line transfer although when I look at the renderings I don't see that obviously apparent.