View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 28, 2022, 2:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post
I am in Bridgeport, CT now. Someone described Bridgeport as the new Burlington, Vermont. It is slightly more than one hour by Metro North and Amtrak to New York City but housing is significantly less than other communities in the New York region. Crime and property taxes are an issue, of course.

We are a ten minute walk from the beach (I fished from my kayak throughout the summer), there are several good restaurants and music venues, and at least two breweries here in the city.

Here are a couple of photos from Porchfest in August, where approximately 80 bands played on porches and front yards in the neighborhood.

I have friends in a gorgeous suburb of Bridgeport (Monroe) who bought a house this year that is three times the size of mine, but they paid half of what mine was appraised at this year. I'm not up on what their property taxes are, though. Mine are very high, but we don't have a state income tax.

Their biggest complaint is how slow the utility is in getting electricity back up after storms. The trees in their area do a number on the power lines with thunderstorms, hurricanes, and noreasters.

Edit: Just saw the comments that we should be talking about cities proper. Sorry about that. I will say, though, that my friends in the Bridgeport burb enjoy Bridgeport itself, especially restaurants.

Last edited by AviationGuy; Nov 28, 2022 at 2:54 AM.