View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 27, 2022, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
Yes, I've been looking at South America as well, especially Chile, Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay. Even Colombia and Peru. Not so much Mexico, where the cartels appear to operate with impunity. Is Sao Paulo a relatively safe city, at least in the middle class areas? Not that California is safe...plenty of crime here, and guns are everywhere. Is homelessness a problem like it is in Cali? Hopefully Lula will help the poor like he did before. How about the south, cities like Curitiba and Florianopolis? Are they cheap and nice? How about Fortaleza in the north? Hear the beaches are specacular. Cheap as well? Maybe too far for an American.
São Paulo murder rates were at 40/100,000 in the late 1990's. The state decided to act and it declined over the past 20 years to reach 5/100,000. It seems it will end 2022 below New York.

Said that, there was a surge of muggings all over the city for the past 12 months or so. I used to feel completely safe, everywhere, everytime. Not so much lately.

Curitiba is dull as its people. Florianópolis is cool and trending. About Fortaleza, keep in mind Northeast is much poorer than Centre-South. Regional unbalances in Brazil are much bigger than in the US. The city has also crime issues. Despite their beaches, I wouldn't recommend to a foreigner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimondpark View Post
Agreed and I hope Americans never discover this. American techies and millenials are totally invading Mexico City as we speak and they don't like it because prices are now soaring there.

Likewise, Sao Paulo has a huge intellectual/academic population and many walkable, high density neighborhoods filled with nightlife at generally very reasonable price by US standards. Keep the Americanos like me out por favor. LOL.

Much of Porto Alegre also has many lovely neighborhood that fit this thread category. One of my favorite neighborhoods is Moinhos de Ventos--upscale, high density, very walkable, lots of interesting nightlife, even lots of beautiful trees and nature etc. Pretty much the perfect urban neighborhood imo.
I love Porto Alegre and Moinhos de Vento. And I agree with you: it's the best kind of urban neighbourhood you can get anywhere in the world.