View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 6, 2009, 12:02 AM
Administrator

Show your Sim City

I was bored so I took a shot of the center city of a metro I'm building up in Sim City.

The new metro I'm working on after my HD fried a few months ago just hit 500k residential population, and the
screen cap below is of the center city with 220k residents, 155k commercial and 55k industrial jobs... (I use an
industry job quadrupler, the plop money cheat, and plop the occasional landmark, but that's about it)... I also
use a crafty zoning technique which allows for good medium density in large rowhouse neighborhoods which never get taller.

I like how this city has developed, and think it's actually somewhat realistic for a sim city... An overview of the city... (there was some growth between this shot and the close ups)

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/840...adison220k.jpg

The business district with the most jobs is presently out near the airport, which also has other job
magnets, such as the convention center and arena complex, a movie studio, fairgrounds, multiple media
production facilities, and other landmarks...

As the metro has built up, downtown has blossomed and has doubled in density
in the past 10 years, after decades of suburban job growth far outpacing downtown job growth.

The last skyline cluster to the right is probably the most interesting...
It is where a large university complex was built in a low income and industrial
area built during the city's inception. The area has since totally gentrified with further school expansion, and widespread
development of apartments, condos and office space. However, about 5 years ago, wealthy NIMBYs on the
overlooking bluff revolted, and have since stymied further vertical growth in the flatlands by loading the city council
with officials who would support tough height restrictions on the university district below. (Note the expressway
that passes from the top of the bluff to the flatlands below via a tunnel, and then turns and goes under the city
zoo. That was fun to make)

Let's see what your city looks like!