View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 8:17 PM

If I had enough FU money, and didn't care if my condo was wiped out in a real estate crash (due to climate change awakening in S. FL), I would totally just buy a condo in Miami to live in *part* of the year. I love going down there in Jan/Feb/Mar after the holidays when it's Hoth here in Chicago. During the Summer though, I want to be in Chicago. Obviously a much better place than Miami.

But.... I would also prefer to shovel out a bit of travel money and just work remotely from exotic tropical places abroad to get a more unique experience and travel the world.

That's another thing I think about.... As our world becomes further globalized, what stops someone from buying cheap property somewhere outside the US? If you don't want to risk sea level rise or hurricanes, there are a TON of places cheaper abroad where you can get the same winter tropical experience at a cheaper rate without the climate risk.

I'm obviously speaking from a remote work privilege POV, but as Crawford noted, Florida isn't particularly beautiful aside from some of it's beaches, etc. I just keep looking at the development in Cape Coral and wonder..... How? How many of these people are going to rebuild there? We now know that Ft Myers beach has basically been completely destroyed. The storm surge and winds probably completely destroyed everything. The causeway has chunks of it missing, and there was major inundation in Ft. Myers. This surely means Cape Coral, and adjacent areas experienced severe inundation.

Given the complacency to the risk, I wonder how many folks don't have the proper insurance to cover damage from storm surge. Remember, most homeowners policies don't cover damage from flood...... It will be interesting to see how this impacts the RE market down there. Again, one single storm doesn't cause the state to collapse, but this one certainly reflects a trend that may cause more people to question if FL really is where they want to have a warm location to live in.......