View Single Post
Old Posted May 4, 2023, 11:20 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
To add to that, there's that private gated community within Hancock Park called Fremont Place, LA's very first gated community, established in 1911.

There's also an adjacent neighborhood called Windsor Square, but many people think it's part of Hancock Park. It was very exclusive, and was the first neighborhood in LA to have all of its electrical utilities underground; they didn't want any visible poles and wires. Even the flatlands of Beverly Hills have poles and wires, but they're in the alleys behind the homes.
I have always considered Windsor Square as well as Larchmont Village to be part of Hancock Park. The area that I think most people don't associate with Hancock Park (Google doesn't, but real estate agents do) is south of Wilshire between Wilton, Rimpau, and Pico. That's a great area to invest in right now. Also beautiful are Victoria Park and Lafayette Square.

I just wish the streets in Hancock Park would be narrower, the parkways wider (like you see in Evanston), and that all properties would have hedges, brick walls, wrought iron fences, or some combination of those. That's actually the trick (real and psychological) to making an area with SFHs feel more walkable because those features are a visual indication that the property begins at the sidewalk and sort of reduces the setback.

β€” Jerome Bruner