View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 7:26 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Anyone else noticed an explosion of coyotes everywhere? When I lived up in NY, I never saw or heard one even up in the ADK's while now they are everywhere. I was up there visiting a few weeks ago, and it was like I was out in the AZ desert. Saw some everyday and heard them howling all night. There are also coywolves which are bigger coyote/ wolf hybrids.
Same with me.

When I was a kid coyotes were something I associated with the west and the prairies.

I believe they've been spreading eastward and northwards for a couple of decades.

They're now very present in much of Quebec. You don't see them much in urban areas (not even in the suburbs like where I live) but not that far away where there are farm fields they are much more visible and the people who live around there hear them howling.

My guess is that there a lot more of them than wolves in this region. Wolves tend to be a much greater distance away from the city. At least an hour away from here until you actually have a chance of meeting up with one.

Another now common animal that wasn't very present when I was a kid: wild turkeys. They're all over the place here now. I see them all the time.

Bears also occasionally venture right into the heart of the city here, as there are a few "greenways" that run from wilderness areas all the way into town uninterrupted, and if they are lucky (or unlucky) they can accidentally follow them right downtown.

There also aren't moose in the urban area but they are all around us too. Occasionally one will find its way into the suburbs, and maybe fall into someone's swimming pool.