View Single Post
Old Posted May 21, 2010, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post
Sopas--this may be the singlemost arresting set of pictures ever posted here. The only thing more mind-blowing than this building
is that it was destroyed. You have to wonder at the cretinism of those who made the decision to take it down. I suppose it's some small
consolation that its destruction was seen by some as L.A.'s Penn Station, in that it woke Angelenos up to preservation... more or less.
And at least we still have (in the shot above) the Goodhue Central Library and Farquhar's California Club.
It also makes me wonder when this style of Art Deco started becoming appreciated/admired again. Zigzag Moderne was already passé by the mid-1930s, and of course the 1950s and 60s were all about unadorned Modernism. I'm wondering if by the late 1960s, many people thought Art Deco was ugly or old-fashioned at best?

And yeah, at least we have the Central Library (which at one time even before its arson fires, was considered ripe for demolition) and the California Club, the latter of which I actually went into for the very first time last year.

~ Charles Bukowski