View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 23, 2023, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
A wall of buildings along the perimeter with a large interior park flanking 26th St (or even contiguous with Chelsea Park) seems to be the logical site plan here.

Im not sure if the intention is to also replace the NY Health Dept building but that would be a good site for the first building in terms of phasing. I'm sure the facility is pretty outmoded anyways. Also curious what the plan for Chelsea Prep (PS 33) is. The obvious solution would be to incorporate a brand new school into the base of one of the new towers. I would like to see the old City of NY shield saved from the old building and reincorporated though.
Some earlier documentation from when renovation was the consideration suggest they might just be looking at NYCHA property. But you are right, those two buildings would make good first sites to redevelop.

https://images.fastcompany.net/image...ng-council.jpg

I actually don't mind PS 33 or the NY health buildings on 9th. Maybe I've grown soft, but they include nice open spaces in front of these buildings that are well used.

As a younger person I longed to see the restoration of many of the NYCHA properties back into the street grid. But I've come to appreciate some of their deviation from NYC's grid.