View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 24, 2022, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardeza View Post
in philly and nationwide I dont expect to see many commercial skyscrapers of significant size being built based on current trends. I think residential and medical towers will make up most of what we are likely to see in Philly going forward. In fact, one could argue that the rise of telework will benefit Philly and lead to more immigrants from more expensive east coast cities. Now would be the time for Philly to launch ad campaigns to attract DC and NYC residents who can telework.

I'm not sure we shouldn't expect many commercial towers because I don't know the future; the trends could suggest it now but in a year or even 6 months who knows what will happen but I see your point.

I do certainly agree Telework benefits Philadelphia because now many can work from Philadelphia which is a cheaper city to live in and with a good metropolitan feel. Philadelphia could gain residence from New York and Washington and this was a trend that has started before 2020 and can increase; already there seems to be a home shortage for new arrivals.

In a slightly different topic that isn't directly related to 115 S 19st Street but may be reflective with respect to its construction is the following. We know based on history that in 1950 Philadelphia had just over 2 million inhabitants; we also know that many have left Philadelphia either by moving out of the city and death due to age and crime. Many who have left Philadelphia simply moved into the suburbs because as the population of the city shrinks from 1950 to 2000 the suburbs have grown massively so that the metropolis all and all has grown. But now in Philadelphia we have a housing shortage; over 10,000 apartments are being built not including what has been built; and of course now we have 115 S 19th Street.

Philadelphia is growing we can see that but if the housing capacity is as short as it is in a city that could accommodate 2 million people; and in a city when many don't fill out the census; I wonder if Philadelphia has far more people than we think? When I look at history, current construction, and people moving into Philadelphia the math seems to not add up. Is 115 S 19th Street a sign that things are better that we may see?