View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 30, 2021, 12:14 AM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
I liken it to wearing a seat belt a couple of decades ago. Some people just wouldn't do it--it wasn't macho, it took an extra second or two when you were in a hurry, you knew you were a good driver and wouldn't have a crash anyway.

But the over-arching government MADE you. It took away your RIGHTs to endanger yourself. In fact, unlike covid where enabling yourself to get infected causes the virus to spread and clearly endangers others, not wearing a seat belt if you were driving alone just endangered YOU.

All this auto safety stuff--air bags, seat belts, cushioned steering wheels and dashes--was a kind of cult the government was mandating that added hundreds, maybe thousands of dollars to the cost of cars. A previously marginalized group, the auto safety fanatics (led by the arch villains at Consumers' Union), were pushing it. Real men (and women) didn't need it.

But we got used to it. We will get used to getting periodic coronavirus shots (hopefully ones that cover a broader spectrum than just SARS-CoV-2) and some of us chosing to wear a mask in certain public situations. It's hard to see the day right now, but I think it will come, when cases of covid become rare enough through the combination of vaccination and post-infection immunity, that we can drop a lot of the compulsion. But I don't think some of the societal changes like an aversion to dense crowds among some people, a willingness to mask up under certain circumstances (and others not finding that particularly strange--except perhaps TUP who I bet wears a mask sometimes at work because he knows they are effective when there infection risk) and the need to add a coronavirus shot to annual flu shots, tetanus shots every 5-10 years, shots for pneumonia, meningitis, shingles etc at certain times of life, and the battery of shots needed for some travel or school.
This is a bunch of rambling and I don’t know why you quoted me to say all of this.

There is no “getting used” to anything.

You develop immunity to an infection and you move on. This isn’t rocket science. But some people, like yourself, can’t move on. You are disabled by fear.

I wear a mask at work because I’m required to. Otherwise I wouldn’t. I’ve personally been to countless social functions without a mask so I already trust in the immunity I have. Friggin A I’ve had the vaccine AND the booster. What more does one need to do?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q