View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 28, 2012, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizened Variations View Post
I think that Amtrak, due to 40 years of uncertainty, by government standards, is lean and very well run. All the years of being beaten up by Congress- not knowing year to year if there will even be an Amtrak- has made their management very realistic.

How to improve Amtrak? Why, what they have been saying for years- provide at least five years of guaranteed increasing funding, and, grow incrementally.

I believe that rather than put 'umpteen' billions into an ego exercise of high speed rail along the NE Corridor, increase the average speed 1 mph per year along the line. In addition, start improving the speed of connecting lines. Start with Richmond and Norfolk, and, get them to 90 mph, then continue to increase the average speed 1 mph/year. Do the same thing between Chicago and New York.

Work a deal with UP to buy moth balled rail line west of Phoenix. Get the average top speed to 90 between Tuscon and LA.

Of course, this will not happen, because every conservative politician since I was a kid uses cutting Amtrak as a symbol of fiscal frugality (LOL).
1 mph/year would take almost a 100 years just a bit ridiculous. Its embarrassing to if that is all we could do especially when china can build the largest high speed network in about 6 years.

I don't see the ego boost comment fit into the equation either because it makes perfect sense to upgrade the NEC especially since it is the only profitable section of the nation and densest part of the country. Not to mention it has been proven to capture a good market share. At least to me it makes perfect business sense to upgrade that section to high speed rail as it is most likely to achieve the highest ridership and most profits.