View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 11, 2022, 3:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skintreesnail View Post
Nice! The only thing you might want to add is a way to handle traffic fro 95->676 eastbound. That's another one that just dumps everyone into the street grid just for them to get back on the highway. I think someone said the original plan included a flyover that was never built. I think a short tunnel might work better, similar to how the 76/676 interchange works. But just those changes you highlighted would help a ton.
Interesting to hear that plans were changed, because it really is incredible that the current layout was ever thought to be a good idea by anyone. Yea good point, that transition from 95 to 676 east is terrible. Unfortunately to my eye this fix doesn't seem nearly as simple as the ones I suggested, once you get into tunneling I think costs skyrocket. The good thing about the changes I suggested is I don't think any of them are that extravagant in cost. The first suggestion to add an elevated ramp would really be the only piece of complicated engineering. The rest is basically just reorienting surface streets.

Even if it's pricey though I think it's worth doing what it takes to rectify the problem you identified because it is a big reason for all of the insane speeding traffic down 6th street. I don't think it's a coincidence that even though much of callowhill is a disaster, the part that is used as a defacto highway interchange is the absolute worst part. Just an incredible dead zone caused by this mess, absolutely kills more than a dozen blocks and creates a significant barrier between two vibrant neighborhoods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
Excellent thoughts. Looking at that diagonal at the southwest corner of Franklin Square, I think it would be better to keep the perpendicular street and reunite the orphan triangle with the park. That could be done by putting a diagonal connection through the current roundhouse site (there is no way to save that monster) OR rerouting 7th Street through even more of the roundhouse block. My one big concern about "Franklin Square Garden" arena or an other redevelopment is the Federal Reserve Banks screening area. Moving part of 7th further west in that block would give them the space to keep or reconfigure/reconstruct that facility. Maybe the diagonal should be just beyond the AA Museum (although I'd much rather that relocated to a nicer building and/or location).
A perpendicular street is generally always preferred for ease of use and sightlines for pedestrians and cyclists, and I get reuniting Franklin Square but I left the angled one because so much traffic comes up 7th to get on 95 that I think you have to maintain the ability to drive directly up 7th or else you're sending a ton more traffic onto surrounding streets. I didn't consider breaking up the roundhouse block though, which would also allow you to keep the flow of 7th intact. As I mentioned, I think it would be great if the roundhouse was incorporated into a modern skyscraper, though I guess it's an option if it's demolished.