View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 12, 2021, 4:54 PM
TL;DR

CMK seems to be in a "one project at a time" mode right now. They probably have reduced staff from their peak 10-15 years ago. And they've been focused on overseas development (Turks & Caicos) just as much as Chicago. I don't think Colin wants the headaches of juggling multiple Chicago projects at once. Right now their next project seems to be 1400 S Wabash, so that will proibably keep them busy for the next 1-2 years at least...

I know several years ago they were planning a large townhouse development for the riverfront site, but the townhouse market hasn't been super robust for years. They're probably waiting for that market to improve, so they can sell a super-premium product (like the townhouses on South Water St by the old Spire site). The sale of the north half of Riverline to Lendlease probably gave CMK enough financial cushion to sit on the south half for years, if need be. A lot depends on The 78 too - if Related can make something big happen there once the new road opens, then CMK will probably look to jump in too even if they need to reconsider their townhouse plans.

I just went on a boat ride yesterday with friends and was thinking how the South Branch still seems just as barren as when I took an architecture cruise in 3rd grade, 20 years ago. There are several new buildings visible from the river, but all set back by a block. The only real improvement fronting the river itself is the Riverline park.