View Single Post
Old Posted May 9, 2010, 10:40 PM

Out & about last weekend in Chicago (138 photos)

My company sent me up to Chicago on Thursday, April 29th, for a seminar the following day, and I opted to stay through the weekend with a friend of mine before flying back to Ohio. The first few photos were taken from my hotel room on the 43rd floor of the Marriott Mag Mile. It was a nice view!

Sorry about the camera lense reflection in the window

I spent the weekend just walking around and enjoying being back in Chicago. It was mostly cloudy, but oh well. The weather was pleasant regardless and I was just happy to be back *home* in Chicago.

Sorry it's blurry/grainy. I seemed to have a lot of these photos this time. Not sure if my lense is getting dirty or I'm just not steady enough when taking photos.

I *love* seeing the ivy growing on the side of this newer building. It helps give it some character.

I LOVE this courtyard building. I like the color of the brick, the structure is well maintained, and the landscaping is very pleasant! It's located just 3 blocks south of my old apartment and I used to walk by it frequently.

This one is pleasant as well and it's right next to the one above.

This is the pedestrian cross-under at Lake Shore Drive & Addison

Nice place for kids to play baseball

Waveland tennis courts in Lincoln Park

The Cubbies were playing, so I headed over to Wrigleyville to check out the action there.

The famous Cubby Bear at the corner

This is along Clark. I wish the city would do some sidewalk expanding and tree planting, but oh well.

I love warm days when the bars & restaurants have their front windows/doors wide open like this!

Now over to Boystown.

The epicenter of Boystown - Halsted & Roscoe

Surprisingly Roscoe's hadn't set up their outside dining yet.

Now over to Broadway

Yummy milkshakes at Bobtails!

This may be Chicago, but obviously there are plenty of Detroit transplants here! I'm guessing that place was depressing last night.

Attractive & well mainted residential building. Other than being slightly far from the el (10-15 minute walk), it's a great location!

The 5 way intersection of Diversey/Broadway/Clark

Now leaving Lakeview and entering Lincoln Park

Treats was sort of the Chicago equivalent to New York's popular Tasti D-Lite, but unfortunately the locations I knew of all closed during the recession.

After this, I headed to the Clark & Division red line stop to catch the el down to the loop. I was meeting up with a friend to check out the Polish festival happening that weekend. Originally the president of Poland was supposed to be there, but unfortunately that obviously was no longer possible. Still the Polish festival carried on, but certainly on a much more somber note.

The king himself (aka Mayor Daley ) made an appearance.

My friend and I stayed for a little bit, but eventually I grew wrestless and wanted to get back out snapping photos.

But first a stop off for some coffee!

The guy in the lower left corner was actually washing his hair in a water fountain. I guess he scored some shampoo somewhere.

Such an incredible view this is!

I was in Chicago right at the tail end of the peak period for all of the tulips that blossom along Michigan Avenue each spring. My two bosses that were in Chicago for the seminar a couple days earlier were incredibly impressed with how beautiful Chicago looked... I don't think they could have had better timing or better weather to visit Chicago!

Blurry, but I guess that's what you get with a point & shoot.

Oak Street was a little dead. I think the recession has taken a bit of a toll on it.

Some Gold Coast residential shots before my camera battery died.

Looking out into Lake Michigan from Howard Street beach.

Now for a little exploration of homes in East Rogers Park (from Sheridan Ave east to the lakefront)

It was a bit windy at the Loyola Park beach. You can see the sand being kicked up as a result.

I hopped on the el here and took the red line back south to the Gold Coast since my camera battery had died the day before.

I love that the residents take such pride in their neighborhood that they even take the time to do flower planter boxes on the side of the mail box!

Washington Square

I decided to head up to North & Clybourn to check out the progress on the station renovation and construction of the new Apple store. The station platform level is still untouched, but renovation on the station house is certainly well underway.

Apple is behind those black curtains.

Now into the residential side streets of southern Lincoln Park (just north of North & Clybourn). It's a very pleasant area to live!

The view up Halsted street a little north of North Avenue

The brown line crosses through this area, though it doesn't stop. You have to use the red line to get here.

The view down Clybourn toward downtown/Near North side.

That ends my fantastic weekend in Chicago. Eventually I'll move back and finally settle down, but in the mean time it's good to have friends there that I can stay with whenever I'm desperate for some Chicago time!

Last edited by OhioGuy; Jun 24, 2011 at 6:52 PM.