View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 31, 2023, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKZips View Post
This is a bit sad. I've been to a lot of events at the Bel-Aire in my lifetime and my wife and I had our wedding reception there. Although I will say that while the event space and Maxis was awesome, the hotel and surrounding establishments were not. There was also an overdose at the hotel the day before and I believe two drug busts at the Manor Motel the day of our wedding and the day after. I've heard some very shady stuff has gone down at the Sandbar as well.

Hopefully Millcreek doesn't drag it's feet and actually gets something done asap. Nothing would be more depressing than a "PI Gateway" that's made up of a bunch of abandoned lots.
Yeah, the Bel-Aire was once a nice place all around... but that was many years ago now. I was at Maxi's not too long ago, and it was still a good spot.

Good riddance to Joe Roots... which sucked, and the owner just ran what was once a nice, lively restaurant and bar (Elephant Bar) into the ground. Good riddance to the Sandbar, which is about as crappy of a place as I've ever experienced... and which also used to house two great Erie restaurants: Lee Kontis' Charcoal Pit and the Sweetwater Grill.

I actually hate seeing buildings like the Manor Motel go away, because it could be a cool little spot if new ownership could take it over and renovate it. But that's never going to happen.

Hopefully, redevelopment of these parcels will also spur interest in developing all of the empty lots on W 8th. It's really quite bizarre how the north side of 8th is quite barren.