View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 15, 2011, 8:50 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by subterranean View Post
Riddle me this--could Detroit form a regional rail authority with just the cities that the rail will touch? Detroit-Ferndale-Royal Oak-Birmingham-Troy regional rail authority? It sounds kind of ridiculous, but if you can't get all of Oakland Co. on board, what are the disadvantages of trying it that way? Too cost prohibitive? And perhaps if it is successful, it could prove to neighboring communities to "jump on board"? There will always be the Livonia's of the world, but why make everyone else suffer if the county is dysfunctional?
I'm not sure about Michigan laws, but in Texas individual cities hold referendums over forming Individual or joining Regional transit agencies. Isn't it easier to get favorable votes in a few Cities vs an entire County? For example, DCTA (Denton County Transit) was formed because the vote passed in just 3 cities, although it failed in far more cities, and would have failed the entire county. The three cities that passed the referendum were on the most likely rail corridor. Most of the others where the vote failed weren't on the most likely rail corridor.

I would think it would be far easier to get individual cities to pass a vote if they were situated on a most likely rail corridor project, even in Michigan.