View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 1, 2011, 9:40 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

You know, I used to have a DDOT email contact, but I don't even think I can find it in my email address books, and with all of the layoffs over the past few years, I'd not be surprised to find that he's no longer with DDOT. It's pretty sad how bush league the city is when it comes email contacts and social networking. Everything still seems to be done by phone where it's much easier to give the run-around trying to connect you up with the appropriate party...

Anyway, lol, looks like they are only going for a quarter raise on the fare, which by their own admission will only cover the cost of the existing service for a few extra weeks. Unless some new revenue is found, looks like the PM won't be running at regular night or weekend services:

Quote:

MANDI WRIGHT/Detroit Free Press

People Mover likely to cut back on service as money dries up

Matt Helms | Detroit Free Press

September 1, 2011

ecember, city officials said Wednesday, as the rail line's management board approved a 25-cent fare hike that they said, at best, might keep it moving a few extra weeks at its current service level.

Officials said reducing hours and days of operation is a more likely remedy than shutting down the rail line outright, a drastic measure that would undercut the city's effort to build a new light-rail line along Woodward Avenue.

Regular night and weekend service, for one, could be ended or reduced except for times when special events with higher ridership warrant keeping the People Mover open, the officials said.

The board of the Detroit Transportation Corp., which operates the People Mover, approved the fare increase from 50 cents to 75 cents, the first increase since the 2.9-mile downtown line opened in 1987. The fare hike would take effect in early November, after public hearings this month.

The City Council's budget deal with Mayor Dave Bing cut $1 million in annual People Mover subsidies. That $1 million had enabled the city to get another $2.6 million in state transit funding. So without it, there's a combined $3.6-million hole in the People Mover's annual $19-million budget.

It seems like every major Detroit institution is always and forever in crisis mode, these days. Something will probably be worked out, like it always is, but everything is being chipped away at to the point of where it doesn't even make sense for people to support these institutions, anymore, because their support alone isn't enough to stop the inevitable.

BTW, a really great pic from the News' take on the story:

Elizabeth Conley / The Detroit News

Last edited by LMich; Sep 1, 2011 at 9:53 AM.