View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 7, 2019, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJS1512 View Post
I really want to like this project, but the more I see renderings of it, the less it grows on me. Perhaps, I feel like I should based on the band hype wagon...

I wonder if this development were in any other city, it would seem more underwhelming. Its essentially a red mid-century pile of boxes that I thought design consenus had moved on from, but I guess everything old is new again. It seems to detract from the cohesiveness of the district as originally planned; not to mention there now seems to be a lot of red going on in the area along with the Bulletin Building facade - that kind of red should pop, not bleed.

Its different to say the least in terms of a contemporary context, but I speculate if the developer starts skimping on matierials etc, the final product could easily become something of a regret.
I think it's designed to reflect the Bulletin bldg. That explains it's squat, simple stack of uneven boxes. It's the red color that makes it pop! Unfortunately, this building will only be tall as it needs to be in square footage and height. We have to keep in mind that this is not NYC. We don't have it's population nor money for a lot of supertalls with the best designs and materials, but we do ok. However, compared to most cities, Philly's skyline is an eye opener that is beginning to define our big city. It all started with the Liberty Place towers, then the world began to notice this huge statue of a dude on top of tower called city hall.