View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 29, 2012, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
There's not really that many threads on those cities (except maybe Chicago).

The problem with the split as I see it is that it takes more clicks to get to both forums, in these days of quickly browsing forums, many people just click one of them and miss everything in the other.
If we are trying to make browsing more effective I think combining the A-M and N-Z would be helpful. I think the continuously updated threads do more to clog the system than any city. Make a separate section for people that want to update their photo threads continuously. I find those threads more distracting than the occasional multiple threads on the same city. Due to their nature of constantly being updated they are always at the top. If people aren't interested in the subject matter the thread never really drops out of sight.

I know the forum has to have the found city photos for linking and terms of service with image sharing sites but that section is really dead. Oldest thread on the front page goes back to May 8th.

Quote:
I know one thing I plan on doing to hopefully get some buzz in the photography section is to promote my sets on my facebook page whenever I start to do photothreads again. If we all did this that could possibly help generate some activity...
I wasn't following SSP on facebook until a few months ago and didn't realize they promote certain images and threads. I think this is a great way to attract more attention to the site. Along the same lines of the other ideas I've been bouncing around, I think featuring certain threads, again possibly on a map, could help generate interest.

I think the photo contests have seen increased participation, thanks again to Glowrock for organizing them. However, it looks like he is busy in real life and recently has had issues getting the theme and images posted in a regular manner. Maybe someone can step up to help, it might be a job that requires more than one person. Additionally, the getting to know your SSP photographers always seems to generate a lot of interest but the thread dies as we wait for responses from other forum members. Do people need to be badgered more for a response or maybe given a hard two week notice and then skipped until a new person is found. Again, I think this requires a dedicated individual to take charge and stick to deadlines. I'd be happy to assist but would be hit or miss when I am on the road.

To hit another point I brought up before, is there any way the site could make posting images easier? Quickpickr is a real POS as of late and usually misses 10% of the tagged images I search for. No way to determine what images it glossed over other than to heck and peck my flickr account which kind of defeats the purpose of using quickrpickr. Is it possible to have dynamic thread editing and previewing? Can anyone answer this? Who runs the coding aspect of the site? It seems like a lot of people are frustrated with the effort required to post yet no one knows who to turn to for help.

Sounds like there is interest in a critique thread. I will try to get something posted soon.