View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 15, 2023, 2:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleung View Post
... The crossing is about as deep as the 2A option, and half the direct distance from Lonsdale to Waterfront...? They can always add platforms at Waterfront. If it's crowded, then it's being efficient.

Phibbs is 3 sides no-mans land - I think it's unfortunate that the city decided to dump its housing aspirations around a remote bus interchange rather than focusing on Lonsdale-adjacent

---

CapU, and beyond will never be urban. I take your point about the splitting of the Hastings segment, but I guess I'm looking at Hastings as part of a distant-future Willingdon/41st Ave circle line that will overlap with the north shore line to Waterfront. I'm more focused on the immediate need for north shore rapid transit, competing with seabus, and minimizing transfers
Yes, but the Narrows are even shallower, and only require very-deep tunnel over a short distance.

Think chow has the right of it: you're not replacing the SeaBus or the bus lines over the bridges, and you're cutting out a fair chunk of the east DNV which is already densifying. Centralizing everything into Lonsdale seems like you're creating the exact same spoke-and-hub fiasco that cause the suburbs' traffic problems in the first place. It's not like we can't still create a circle line with Marine Drive and have a Hastings Expo extension bisect it in the middle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helvetia View Post
Is there much value in bridging West Van with the City of North Vancouver? They were pretty adamant they didn't want the R2 RapidBus west of Park Royal and I can foresee similar arguments being raised against rail rapid transit.
Well, West Van's mayor signed on with the SkyTrain, so I don't think the haters have a choice; best they can do is demand a tunnel instead. Most of the traffic is within the North Shore itself, not trying to get to or from it, so they'll need one anyway.

And as mentioned, the 250 and 257 from the Horseshoe Bay terminal go through West Van as well - having a connection to Lonsdale and Willingdon might help relieve pressure on the rest of the network, so TransLink'll want to do it anyway.