View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 19, 2021, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeshoredrive View Post
My friend and I were having a discussion about transit projects in Chicago and the Circle Line came up. We talked about the feasibility of that project, but he also proposed an idea where instead of the circle line, there could be a new line (Silver) that goes straight across across Western Ave from the south to the north. His reasoning is that there are multiple CTA stations on Western (Orange, Pink, Blue, Brown) and that it would be more feasible to connect to these stations and make it easier to get across town. CTA could build a Western Ave station for the yellow line to extend it further north. Likewise, CTA could maybe build one for the green line on the 63rd and halsted branch and extend it west to Western so the line can be further south than the orange line.

So the Silver Line would look like this:

Green Line (63rd) -> Orange Line (49th) -> Pink Line (21st) -> Blue Line (Eisenhower) -> Blue Line (Milwaukee Ave) -> Brown Line (1900 N) -> Yellow Line (Asbury Ave)

Do you guys think this could be more feasible than the Circle Line?
It would probably be less challenging to build, but wouldn’t have that much benefit north of where western crosses the River. There’s a drop in population density west of western at that point. If it was mostly apartment buildings and intersections that could accommodate higher density, I would be more inclined to agree, but I think buses work better here. Where it’s more difficult to reach rail service is around Humbolt park. Too bad there isn’t a Division street subway that meets up with the blue line. But I doubt the tunnels can take all that much additional rush hour capacity