View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 13, 2019, 8:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR Devlin View Post
What a boring, sterile image. Compare your "giant blue shiny curtain wall" to the buildings on the south side of Wacker between Clark and Franklin. This 2-and-a-half block stretch is way, way, way better than what you describe. They're not all great buildings but collectively they create a very nice look.

And they're not all old. The building on the southeast corner of Wacker and Franklin was built after 333 W Wacker but fits in well with its neighbors to the east.

Or the building between Wells and Franklin. The eastern two thirds of this building is old but the western third is an addition that was built, IIRC, in the 1980's. I like it a lot.
Do you mean East/West Wacker, because South Wacker doesn't have intersections with Franklin and Clark. Those two are N/S streets.

Anyway, agree to disagree, since we get those beautiful pink sunset reflections with them, and the blue wall will only take up 1/20th of the skyline, so it's not sterile by any means and it is always evolving. In 20 years, those buildings could be blocked by stuff in the West Loop for all we know.

Also I work right there in 333 W Wacker and see the buildings I think you are referring to every day. The buildings right next to it aren't that great to be honest. I'll take 700-800 foot well glazed towers over a mediocre PoMo and decent but short and rather bland old stock tower. Now the buildings East of Lasalle are very nice, I'll admit that, especially starting with the art deco tower.