View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 4, 2013, 12:05 AM
New Yorker for life

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.1307057

24-hour construction at Brighton Beach is keeping locals up all night
Pile driving to build new bathrooms and lifeguard stations going on at 3 am, residents charge

By Mark Morales
April 3, 2013

Quote:
These Brighton Beach residents are all in favor of city construction crews working to get the beach ready for the summer season - but this is ridiculous.

Round-the-clock construction of three new public restrooms and lifeguard stations near the Coney Island boardwalk are keeping local residents up all night. Neighbors charge that construction has been going on at all hours of the night for more than a - sometimes as late as 3am.

“It’s this constant banging deep into the ground. It’s like a boom sound,” said Marian Rosenfarb, 79, who lives a block away from the beach. “With this noise I don’t know if I’ll reach 80.” Rosenfarb says the vibrations from the construction causes her building to shake. the noise is impossible to drown out, she added. I put on the TV and the radio and I still hear it,” Rosenfarb said. “I try to sleep at night but I can’t. Who can sleep with this?”

Three new buildings are being constructed along the boardwalk, at West 2nd St, Brighton 2nd St. and New Brighton St. The modern modular structures - which are also being added in Queens and Staten Island - will replace old lifeguard stations and public bathrooms that were destroyed during Hurricane Sandy.

All three stations will be wheel chair accessible, designed with green features like solar power and skylights, and constructed above flood levels.

Pile driving into the sand is expected to last until next week and the new structures should be completed by the start of beach season. “Work is going on 24 hours a day in order to finish the project as quickly as possible,” said spokeswoman Meghan Lalor. “While we acknowledge that this may present an inconvenience, we ask for the community's patience while this important restoration work is being done.”

Pat Singer of the Brighton Beach Neighborhood Association said neighbors have been calling her office to complain about the noise. “They shouldn’t be doing that at 3 in the morning. That’s ridiculous,” said Singer. “I understand that they want to get the beach up and ready but people need to sleep. There should be a comprpomise.”

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.