View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 28, 2006, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown
Remember the new 9th street underpass. That will be built by the city with TIF money, so it's not dependent on a particular project. Presumably the way folks will walk from Printers Row and adjacent blocks to the Roosevelt Collection will be via the new 9th Street and through the new park.
I've browsed the forum and several threads in addition to googling on this one and turned up basically nothing. I was in Chicago this Thanksgiving (beautiful weather!) and walking around the area I got a good idea of what's going on here and how far it still has to go. I was wondering if you could clarify a bit...

What's this 9th street underpass? Will this be an underpass below the Metra tracks, simply connecting between Wells and Clark? Or will this be a westward extension of the existing 9th street all the way to Clark and/or Wells? Can't imagine neighborhood residents would be too happy about that.

I've also read here about proposed new bridges over the river at Taylor and Polk. I can see how that would "open up" this area a lot, though the Dan Ryan is still a pretty huge barrier between UIC and the river. How do these new bridges fit in with this "9th street underpass" plan that you're talking about?

Thanks.