View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 25, 2009, 3:39 PM
New Yorker for life

http://media-newswire.com/release_1093367.html

Quote:
Brooklyn Bridge Park Development Corporation President Regina Myer said: “We are so pleased that we have been able to work with the Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation to reach an agreement that will allow us to move forward with meaningful improvements to Brooklyn Bridge Park. We are also excited to have this extraordinary neighborhood gem, the historic Jane’s Carousel call Brooklyn Bridge Park its home. This has been a milestone year for us and, with both Piers 1 and 6 opening at the end of 2009; Brooklyn Bridge Park will soon be a reality.”

Brooklyn Borough President Marty Markowitz said: “Bravo to Governor Paterson, Regina Myer and the Brooklyn Bridge Park Development Corporation, and the State Parks Department for reaching an agreement that will allow the BBPDC to manage Empire-Fulton Ferry State Park and transform Brooklyn’s waterfront into Brooklyn Bridge Park—an ‘urban emerald’ of parkland, beaches, recreation, bikeways, playgrounds, historic structures—and even an old-fashioned carousel. And, of course, there are those spectacular views! I have long advocated for this arrangement and am thrilled to see it come to fruition. The economies of our State, City and Brooklyn need this project more than ever before—and today’s announcement will ensure that what Prospect Park was to the 19th century, Brooklyn Bridge Park will be to the 21st.”

Jane Walentas, who renovated and donated the Jane’s Carousel, said: “It is truly a thrill to imagine this Landmark 1922 Carousel spinning on that magical point on the river between the Brooklyn & Manhattan Bridges. Restoring the Carousel to its original splendor and donating it, together with a new Jean Nouvel designed building, to Brooklyn Bridge Park for children of future generations to ride and enjoy has been my wish and my passion. I am so pleased to have the Carousel be part of what will be the most exciting waterfront park in New York City.”

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.