View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 18, 2023, 9:19 PM

what a time this was. watching all those streams from different cities that showed you 99% of what the news media WAS NOT showing. Minny started as the most interesting but NYC, Portland, Seattle (solely because of CHAZ), and DC were the "star cities" of the rioting (and had the best cams). Chicago with an honorable mention.

agree with those saying the rioting was so widespread in Socal. it was like everyday a new section was getting hit. melrose, hollywood, then long beach, then the valley, etc. crazy. many of the old timers still in their homes from the 92 riots strongly discouraged the rioting in their own neighborhood which could be one reason it became widespread in socal. a lot of people drove across town to participate (which happened in 92 also). social media really spread around the next spots that would get hit too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxtex View Post
Portland should be its own case study simply for the duration and breadth of events. Id estimate events in earnest lasted all the way to Halloween of that year. All I will say is in this city, when you shut down society and schools, especially with summer approaching, expect terrible results. The apple store downtown still has a 20 ft high security perimeter surrounding it. The covid riots of 2020 is a more apt name as there were multiple topics being protested. People traveled here from across the country to protest and fight the cops.
Portland police really didn't play though. they cleared out blocks pretty effectively when they wanted to. and I was in Portland a few months ago and saw that Apple store. surprised it still needs to be guarded like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
I'd put them a very close 2nd and 3rd. But not worse. Unless PNW riots had worse violence/deaths I'm unaware of. In terms of physical destruction, Minneapolis was definitely the king.
those first nights in Minny were hard to top destruction wise but Minny fell off after that as other cities ramped up. still surreal watching this though. truly apocalyptic. I remember watching this Minny stream live and was better than any movie. you see so much arson including a book store getting burned down, a kidnapping, a couple shootings, etc. It's 7 hours long (intense stuff starts roughly 4 hours in with the car fire explosion): https://youtu.be/cHcELsLF7cg?t=4069

Video Link

Last edited by Trae; Jan 18, 2023 at 9:43 PM.