View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 24, 2023, 10:35 PM
Dryer lint inspector

^ Don't cities handle zoning and land use regulations? That is unless the state passed legislation overruling city ordinances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
Mine generated none whatsoever from their primary residences. One side sold their condo in 2011 for $50k less than they bought it for in 1987. The other side broke even because they sold around 2015, and by break even, I of course mean recovered the dollar amount, uncorrected for inflation.

Nearly all of the money they saved during their lifetimes was devoured by high nursing home and medical costs in their last 5~ years. Almost no money was passed on to any individual, since the family is large.
There's always that risk but that's true with any investment. My paternal grandfather retired a few years before the financial crisis in 2008 and within a year, lost half of his retirement and died two years later. He still left my grandmother with a sizable chunk but that was eaten up by her assisted living and she had to be moved to a nursing home because she ran out of money otherwise, she could have lived out her life in assisted living.