View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 22, 2019, 6:03 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuriandrade View Post
It depends. Tokyo, for instance, is not like that. It has a whopping 4,700 km of subway/rail lines carrying 40 million people daily.

A monocentric city is much easier to build a strong label (Paris vs Rhein-Ruhr) and to attract talents from all their hinterland. A polycentric metro area, with separated labour markets, tends to work as a collection of smaller cities, not cohesive enough to work as big metropolis.
In the US at least the wealthiest region is the San Francisco - San Jose corridor which obviously has two centers (and lots of smaller towns in-between). Jobs in this region are spread out all along the Bay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamaorama View Post
When jobs are located in a suburb on the north side of the region, people on south side have a longer commute. By definition, the average ends up washing out whatever advantage northsiders have because of the southsiders. It would be the same if everyone met in the middle, in the city center.
Well yeah, if you assume nobody ever moves to be closer to their jobs then maybe. Although I have to admit I am always amazed by just how "sticky" living arrangements are for most people. Every time I've gotten a new job I moved to be closer to it. It confuses me that this isn't the norm.