View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 17, 2022, 6:08 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
And yes, as both 10023 and someone123 suggested, my Boomer parents literally did not notice the curfew. They weren’t out and about at night even back when that was legal. I’m not exaggerating one bit: if they had been somehow magically shielded from all news, and had been completely unaware of the curfew, they would STILL not have violated it one single time.
My experience is that younger people have also been more afraid of covid and more personally locked down (here in BC we didn't have many draconian restrictions for long, and punishment was minimal, so a lot of it was voluntary). The older people in houses did more traveling and parties and had more risk of getting covid.

I don't know many people who knowingly had covid so far (though a bunch had the sniffles and couldn't get tested, while they are 100% vaccinated, so I bet some probably have unknowingly) but of the ones who did the most common reason why is their parents invited them to some family gathering with Uncle so-and-so who just got back from Cabo etc.

It's the exact opposite of the "virtuous granny sits and home and the wicked teenager secretly parties then brings covid home and kills her" narrative. The grannies I know are fed up and undersocialized and they have about a 10% chance of dying each year so the 0.5% extra from covid when they are triple-vaxxed does not really change anything. Most of the joy they get in life is from visiting relatives so if you take that away there's not much left. Many of them have health orders in place that specify they won't be put into an ICU for weeks on a ventilator too.

I realize people have different experiences and live in different bubbles but overall I have a feeling our approach was not very effective and didn't direct energy to where it produced the most value. Instead we had a lot of lazy fear-driven one-size-fits-all rules and now a bunch of them remain in place due to inertia and risk aversion.