View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 9:08 PM
Development Shill

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I'm not following you. Where is there a building taller than 200' in the West Loop, excluding the boundary areas along Halsted and south of Van Buren? Even the H2O development tops out at 180' to the roofline - admittedly this stretches the definition of midrise and it's a hair taller than I'd prefer for this area, but still a tiny fraction of the 900 W Randolph behemoth.
I wasn't super clear. The trend in the West Loop is very clear. As the lots run out along the Kennedy but the demand remains the same for people to live there, then taller proposals will continue to creep further and further inland. It's just a natural progression. 10 years ago the tallest proposals were 80 feet tall in the West Loop(outside of the Kennedy line), and now we've reached 180 feet. 10 Years from now I fully expect 300 feet to be a common occurrence. By "ship has sailed", I meant the momentum is taking this thing in a certain direction whether you like it or now.

You can accelerate this timeline greatly if Chicago somehow manages to snap Apple or Amazon.