View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 1:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
actually in nyc and especially in w’burg and even nsb it would be more than that. and quite a bit in real numbers and anecdotally. at least in property ownership especially.
Well yeah, if you own property in NYC and you didn't inherit, you would have to be a millionaire. Honestly, even if you did inherit property, given the net worth of the property in question - though I suppose it might not be a liquid asset.

Even like 20 years ago when my friends lived in Williamsburg, there were already a ton of idle rich hipster types moving in.

I knew one dude who basically got disgusted and left the neighborhood from this. He worked as an ornamental plasterer and made good money repairing old buildings and the like, but he threw out his back and had to take it easy for a few months on disability. He realized that lots of his young neighbors just...didn't have jobs. They just hung out at a coffeeshop all day long, even though the rent was quite expensive even then. Realizing he was surrounded by people whose parents were literally paying big bucks for them to slum it, he got really disgusted with the scene, and quit the area soon thereafter.