View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 23, 2012, 1:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
The thing about that wheel is that it is a destination, not just a ride. It in of itself would be enough. We talk in terms of tourists making the trip, but some forget that it's a metro of some 20 million people to draw from as well. Beyond that though, tourists making the journey on the ferry and the trip to the wheel won't really have much time for a lot of other things to do in Staten Island anyway. It's a big city. So much to do, and so little time. Maybe some locals could make a day trip of it...
It's a destination, and not a ride, for sure. I'm just emphasizing that if they're going to try to use other methods (like the proposed shopping destination) along with the wheel to attract people to the island, they should try to concentrate that flow of people to and not far from St.George.

I'm sure plenty of people from the Metro will come to the wheel within the first year or two, but like other tourist destinations in the city, I doubt it will generate a lot of interest from local people once it's been established.

I really hope this succeeds, I'd love to see this thing from my backyard, from Todt Hill, etc.