View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 15, 2021, 6:31 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Right, but you are not a young person and so the calculus is obviously different.

And mRNA is new in a different way. It’s essentially a gene editing technology. Most of those earlier vaccines were a fairly tried and tested approach using attenuated virus. And many of those diseases, like smallpox or polio, are far more dangerous than Covid for the general population.

Really we should be strongly encouraging anyone over 50 to be vaccinated, leaving it up to personal preference (but free and widely available) for younger people, and not conferring any special privileges on the vaccinated. In other words treat it just like influenza, but with the government paying and a stronger PR effort.
56 is old? Holy shit!

And I disagree that we should be targeting any age group for vaccination. All adults should be encouraged to get the shots. I’m not as irrationally freaked about variants as some others are, but we DO have to acknowledge that as long as the viral load is high in the public, the virus will gradually evolve into resistant strains. Keeping viral levels low within the population is the best way to dramatically slow that process down.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q