View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 24, 2014, 6:57 PM

http://news.hamlethub.com/mamaroneck...-lift-ny-crane

"I Lift NY" Crane

Published on Tuesday, 21 January 2014 08:36
Written by Lorena

The crane that will help construct the New NY Bridge passed through the Panama Canal on January 17. As the crane barge "I Lift NY" exits the Panama Canal, New York State Gov. Andrew Cuomo and the New York State Thruway Authority await the crane to make its appearance to the Hudson River.

The crane began the 6,000-mile voyage from the Oakland Harbor on December 22, 2013. A team of experienced mariners is directing the crane to New York from the West Coast, trough the Panama Canal. The next stop is the Gulf of Mexico before reaching its final stop in Tarrytown, NY.

Fluor Enterprises, Inc. and American Bridge Company, who are part of the Tappan Zee Constructors, own the crane. Once known as the "Left Coast Lifter," primarily because it was the largest lift in the West Coast, the crane barge helped build the suspension span of the San Francisco – Oakland Bay Bridge.

The "I Lift NY "crane is designed to hoist pre fabricated pieces over 900 feet and up to 1,900 tons. The boom of the hoist is 326 feet long and rests on a 384 feet barge.

In addition, the crane is also set to demolish the Tappan Zee Bridge after the New NY Bridge is built and ready to allow passengers to commute from Rockland and Westchester counties. The makeup of the lift will allow for the Tappan Zee Constructors to assemble the bridge in a shorter period of time while cutting down the cost of building the bridge.