View Single Post
Old Posted May 5, 2021, 3:17 PM

I agree. It probably could have a home in Dubai, but not Chicago. Tacky comes to mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooted Arborial View Post
This building has come to represent to me the most salient characteristics of the current, embarrassingly unforgettable obsession in architectural

designs with gimmickry and pretense at the expense of the expression of integrity interwoven with a genius of economy. I do not worship at the

altar of Mies but this wiggling wall and finger and its many ilk popping up around the planet have turned the idea of "less is more" on its head.

The attitude broadcast by these googaws - designed to pander to the egos of the most pretentious and monetarily hoarding pseudo-members of

the societies which they seek to dominate - is strictly "more or less."

This building represents the costliness of rushed desperation as much as anything else. Look at me, Look at me, like the adage,

"pearls before swine" it will always need redemption from its own pretenses. Move the columns this way and that, cover them over with shallow

manipulated glass, punch a hole through it to make it less of a danger, and pretty soon you'll get Dr. Frankenstein to sign a contract!

Like so many politicos, "it depends upon what the meaning of the word 'Is' is" and, in so many cases nowadays, more has become much, much less

and the negative planetary effects continue to grow.

So, we are left with the only assessment allowed today - It could have been worse.