View Single Post
Old Posted May 1, 2015, 3:57 AM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
Yes, President Obama did all that

Perhaps the people in those communities wanted the Library/Foundation in their neighborhood. Perhaps the alderman in those areas wanted the institution in their neighborhood. Maybe the mayor wanted this for his city and now it's been done.
I think we are all elated its coming to Chicago. I have myself eyed that parcel for yeras on MLK and Garfield imaging how ideally just such a library would fit there.

However we are shamelessly throwing away all provisions that centered on protecting Chicago parkland for generations. That Chicago has changed its own rules for the convenience and the whims of the foundation are really undeniable. And who heads the foundation? At the end of the day it is Michelle and Barack Obama. Would the "foundation" had asked NYC to put such a library in Central Park? Why do they ask it of their home town? What if the foundation would have requested the library to in Butler Field in Grant Park would the city have bent over backwards to contort the rules to see it happen? My guess given the eagerness and fear of the the city's political elites is yes.

That money and connected interest make the rules as they go is exemplified yet again. The same as Ricketts running roughshod over the land marking of their own ballpark and the city bending over as eagerly as they could just so the city and its leaders could claim victory.

I think one can still be happy about the library coming here and feel a little dirty and slightly disgusted by the process. There is no obligation to be a cheerleader who can't fathom that the President's ego has gotten out a bit in front in this scenario. It certainly wasn't someone below the President to stubbornly go over Michelle or his head and will not let the library in a park idea die. We can't be that naive to suggest that they alone aren't the main agitators behind such insistence for the library in the park. One would just have hoped that the Obama's would certainly be happy with the acres of land west of Washington Park. That they don't need parkland in a park starved city in order to make a high quality library. A little thoughtfulness about the park previous ordinance's and a little bit less ego would reflect better on the the President.

My hope is that after getting done with more important issues that a President must that there will be just a little bit of reflection and they will not build the main structure in the park itself. Hopefully they will just use the designated park space as a Presidential Garden or greenery of some kind. Not only do I think is that showing proper respect of the original park ordinance but also likely a better result from a schematic and design perspective. I just imagine a library holding the corner at MLK and Garfield Blvd being a part of new street wall as making a more impressive entryway then plopping it down at the edge of the park.

Don't get me wrong I am ecstatic its coming to Chicago and going in the general location it is. And I will still be very happy even if the build the main wing in the park. Anyone, liberal or conservative, who feels any affinity for this city should take off their partisan glasses and see how awesome and beneficial it is.

Last edited by nomarandlee; May 1, 2015 at 5:49 AM.