View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 22, 2014, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordo View Post
Muni's number one cost (by a LOOOOOOONG shot) is labor. A plan that doubles the number of buses would add hundreds of millions to Muni's annual budget and is simply not sustainable.

The real push should be attempting to build the next subway, wherever it may be, with driverless vehicles like Vancouver and Scandinavia have been doing for years now. That allows amazingly high frequency with amazingly low operating costs (by having more smaller vehicles, as you mention above).

Or maybe self-driving buses will be here before too long to solve this issue.
As I said before, the union has a stranglehold on the city. They would never allow more efficiency and driverless vehicles because it would mean a loss of muni jobs (which are the highest paid in the nation by far). You should really read that article I posted yesterday. It's proof of why transit in SF will never change. It's a pipe dream, it ain't gonna happen, never in out lifetimes. I'll just have to keep burning fossil fuels and emitting pollution in SF every time I visit because I can't get around effectively on public transit.