View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 9, 2020, 4:27 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
^^

https://www.tomsguide.com/news/how-t...ing-it-at-home

I have one quibble about this. Commercial rubbing alcohol is not 99%--it's usually no more than 70%. What I bought at CVS is only 50%. This is because alcohol is hydrophilic--even if it's pure (99%) when you buy it, as soon as you open it it begins to absorb water vapor from the air and generally reaches a concentration around 70% where it stays (this is why, for example, about the strongest alcoholic beverages you can buy are around 150 "proof" or 75% alcohol). I still think it will work though.
I noticed yesterday on a trip to Target that they were completely sold out of chlorine bleach. They still had non-chlorine bleach, but the chlorine ones (which is what you need for disinfectant purposes - the other is only good for whitening).

I've never seen 50% alcohol in a CVS, and I would be very surprised if any health-related alcohol-only (or, rather, alcohol and water-only) sold for disinfectant purposes was lower than 60%, since 60-90% is considered the most effective concentration range for disinfectant purposes. Exceptions would usually have other disinfecting agents in the ingredients.

Also, at least in the U.S., the rubbing alcohol (ethyl or isopropyl alcohol) in any national chain will be a minimum of 70% because in the U.S., to be called "rubbing alcohol," the concentration *must* be 70% or greater. Usually you can also find 91% at larger stores.

As an FYI, while isopropyl, other propanols, ethyl, or methyl alcohol will kill coronaviruses, ethyl alcohol is somewhat better for a wider range of viruses.

Finally, if using alcohol to disinfect skin or organics with any oil on the surface, the surface should either be cleaned with a detergent first, or cleaned with a mix of a detergent and alcohol, as alcohol has little to no detergent action and therefore won't properly disinfect anything with oil on it. That's why most recipes for homemade hand sanitizer includes at least a little dishwashing detergent. And why I personally dislike using hand sanitizer - because the detergents leave a residue I dislike.
[/SIZE]