View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 8, 2020, 7:56 PM

^^

Quote:
How to make hand sanitizer: Ingredients you’ll need

- 2/3 cup 99% rubbing (isopropyl) alcohol (buy rubbing alcohol on Amazon)
- 1/3 cup 100% pure aloe vera gel (buy aloe vera gel on Amazon)
- Optional: 8-10 drops essential oil for smell (buy essential oils on Amazon)

- Bowl and spoon
- Funnel
- Empty liquid soap or hand sanitizer bottle (or buy plastic bottles on Amazon)
- Optional: Gloves

How to make hand sanitizer in two steps

Step 1: Mix the rubbing alcohol, aloe vera and optional essential oil in a bowl with a spoon. Be careful to keep pure alcohol away from your skin.

Step 2: Funnel the mixture into the empty bottle. Screw the pump cap back on and voila, you have hand sanitizer.

Making hand sanitizer at home: Warnings

As easy as it is to make your own hand sanitizer, you should be aware that rubbing alcohol in high quantities can damage your skin. Make sure you stick to the 2:1 proportion to keep the alcohol content around 60%. You can also use gloves while mixing and follow up sanitization with hand moisturizer.
https://www.tomsguide.com/news/how-t...ing-it-at-home

I have one quibble about this. Commercial rubbing alcohol is not 99%--it's usually no more than 70%. What I bought at CVS is only 50%. This is because alcohol is hydrophilic--even if it's pure (99%) when you buy it, as soon as you open it it begins to absorb water vapor from the air and generally reaches a concentration around 70% where it stays (this is why, for example, about the strongest alcoholic beverages you can buy are around 150 "proof" or 75% alcohol). I still think it will work though.