View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 27, 2009, 2:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarabundi View Post
Building this hotel would (in my humble opinion) destroy the integrity of the architectural program of Sears Tower. Both building would not serve each other.
Plus the fact that the original design would be transformed totally on the base of the building : that should not be authorized. Like it or not, this is an icon of modern architecture of the 1970's !! It shouldn't be altered...
The modification of the base/plaza is an interesting issue - of course, the base has already seen various modifications since the original construction, so it's tough to say what exactly is "original" and "authentic" and worthy of preservation.

It's a potentially cool proposal, but I share concerns given that Sears (Willis) isn't just any International-style office highrise - it's one of the most important and iconic of it's architectural style ever built.

I think ultimately I do like the proposal - just because something may represent a pristine architectural example doesn't automatically merit preservation if the strict adherence to those principles has a serious negative impact at street level, which I think is definitely the case at Sears.

As to dramatic aesthetic juxtapositions, I'm almost always in favor for the visual interest it generates.