View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 8:37 AM

I wasn't thinking either/or in terms of a new, 4-year Institute and graduating Phoenix College to a 4-year program. The lack of options really is severe. My preference would be for the 4-year piece of PC to evolve more toward Central City South and help revitalize that area, but you've given the topic much more thought and research.

Given the politics you speak of regarding offending the 'big 2' in reshaping any existing colleges, do you really think it's more pie-in-the-sky to think there's a University out there that could use a satellite campus in a fast-growing metro, where sustainability has been page 1 news longer than anywhere else, where there's cheap construction, land and other costs, etc, etc.? I really don't know... but, I would hope that the growing entities created like Arizona Commerce Authority, Greater Phoenix Economic Council, and our own Mayor could talk about the benefits a Fairgrounds location would have for both them and Arizona based on some of those talking points, along with the unique urban issues/revitalization discussion that could be a further selling feature.

Anyway, I guess my point is that any solution is going to have to prove a future need for that building; creating a park in isolation doesn't achieve that. Positioning the park as a temporary placeholder until PC can break off, etc, etc. is how I imagine you'd have to approach those wanting to tear down the building (as you have). Otherwise, can it, and the piece of land it sits on, be 'transferred' to GAMA? Or, can the city quickly form a 3rd-party corporation (or whatever the legal jargon is for what they formed to build the Sheraton) and buy the building? I don't know what kind of time crunch there is, and it seems like no matter how good the idea, the wrecking ball drops regardless.