View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 23, 2012, 5:10 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Sucks about the cross-ticketing. I wonder whether this is ideological or FEC just couldn't reach a deal with Amtrak.
Freight railroads are administered by the STB because most freight loads are shipped across state lines, passenger railroads only need to be administered by the FRA. That's why FEC is already split into FEC(R) and FEC(I), with R including just the freight railroading business and I everything else. The All Aboard Florida passenger trains will remain a part of I. For that reason alone, it's idealogical. The STB shouldn't administer the AAF trains as long as they don't cross-ticket with Amtrak. AAF can still do business with all other modes of interstate transportation like cruise lines, airlines, and buses; even with commuter rail that doesn't cross the state line; just not with Amtrak.

There's a fairly long video at YouTube from a recent meeting AAF held. All these legal issues was discussed. Here's the link to the video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dl1yVSD_Tv8

Also in the video is a long question and answer session with interesting answers. They will need to buy 10 train sets to run up to 14 trains a day. Each train set would have 9 vehicles; 2 locomotives on either end and 7 passengers cars with one diner, one first/business class, and five coaches. As I understand it, although they wouldn't mention the manufacturer as yet, they're looking at buying lighter weight trains from overseas- from a manufacturer that already has American facilities - although they don't have to buy American made. I don''t think AAF is considering buying Hi-Liner equipment.

The rolling stock will take the longest time to complete, from 20 to 30 months, and is therefore what will set when service can start. Design has only reached the 30% stage, so many specific details asked couldn't be answered. Never-the-less, many questions were answered.