View Single Post
Old Posted May 30, 2022, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
But that's politics for you. People can take on higher levels of office without having to work their way up every rung on the ladder if they have developed experience in other ways. It's not like a Prime Minister has to, or even should necessarily start out as a school trustee or whatever.

I personally don't care if a mayoral candidate has been a councillor before, I am mainly interested in their views and philosophies in relation to how the City of Winnipeg should work. But that said, I admit that having some experience with the inner workings of municipal government as a councillor or otherwise, has to be an advantage.

I would agree. I mean, a serious mayoral candidate should be able to give a 2 minute elevator speech that gives you a pretty clear idea of what they're trying to accomplish.
If someone rises to Prime Minister or Premier they've navigated party politics which takes decades to get into a leadership position, front room and backroom experience. Someone like Trudeau is an anomaly but he's also been a public figure since he was born.

I'm not saying people need to hold elected office to be qualified to run for mayor, but how does anyone think they are going to win 100,000 votes to get the chair if they have no public profile and are doing nothing to build one?

Even someone like Motkaluk who ran before. Where the hell has she been for the last four years? If you want to give it a legitimate run why not be out in public, attend City Hall, get involved?