View Single Post
Old Posted May 29, 2022, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalf View Post
The fixation by people on the mayoralty a little odd. I guess it's the most visible position in City government, but what power does the mayor actually have over and above any other councillor?

I guess they can hire and fire civil servants, and can choose EPC, but beyond that what specific powers do they wield?

It seems like you could get yourself elected to council much more easily than going up against 8+ other candidates for mayor, and still have a lot of influence.
A lot of observers have made this very point over the years... people tend to overstate the power the mayor has, and understate the power each individual councillor has. Yes selecting EPC is important, but then after that you are just one vote as mayor.

Anyhow, I will vote for whichever mayoral and council candidate actually demonstrates the soundest grasp of municipal governance. I'm not interested in someone who mainly wants to bring people together in the name of inclusivity and acceptance, nor am I interested in someone who just wants to fill potholes. Both of those things are great, but they are not and shouldn't be the primary focus of the job.