View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 2, 2009, 11:33 PM
zzzzzzzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
I have no examples of doing the water thing.
I have an example of the water thing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmontonenthusiast View Post
With that photo did you have to use a tripod? So basically say you're at 50 mm on your less. 50+ for shutter will make it freeze. 49 and under will make it appear as moving, like blur? Correct? How do you exactly figure out Focal length I don't get it? What is exposure bias? In the photo you posted is the exposure the shutter? For a photo like that does the aperture really matter too much? I know big aperture is best for night, where as during day it doesn't matter.
Here's the EXIF data for the one I posted...

Camera: Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi
Exposure: 0.125 sec (1/8)
Aperture: f/22.0
Focal Length: 28 mm
ISO Speed: 100
Exposure Bias: 0 EV
Flash: Off

You can get this from photo editing software, or sometimes by right-clicking the file name, going to properties and hitting the summary tab (at least this works for the program I use). You can also get it on flickr, which is what I did for this photo.

I used a small aperture (high f/# (f/22)), but a 1/8 shutter speed. This was hand-held, and you can see some blur in the rocks as a result. The smaller aperture (higher f/#) allows you to keep the shutter open for a little longer without overexposing the photo too much. Sometimes it's impossible, though, like, if you have a very light background - it will appear washed-out if you use too slow a shutter-speed.

Larger apertures (smaller f/#s) are good for low-light shots, you're right, but they can be used to give a limited depth of field (making the subject in focus, while the background is blurred) here's an example...

One of the great things about digital photography is that you can try out different settings without spending money on film just to test things out. So there are a lot of things you can learn just by trial & error.